Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Part III

Part III

Okay, I figured it’s about time I posted part III of the Sugarbear and Jenny story… So, I left off where Sugarbear had bought a new electric guitar and named it after another girl, as I had stood him up. The next couple of weeks had passed, with Sugarbear still making up excuses to steal my watch, and sit next to me in church. I was playing oblivious to his very obvious crush on me, because, of course I wasn’t interested, as I was going away to college. Our time together always included his best friend, and the pair are seriously two of the funniest people I’ve ever met. It was a barrel of monkeys every time we were together. One day, after something at the church of course, the three of us were walking to our cars. Sugarbear, after saying something very witty, I’m sure, got in his car and left. His best friend and I stood next to my car, shooting the breeze. His best friend got right to the point… “He really likes you, you know…” Me- “umm, uh, ummm, huh…”… “He’s a really good guy.” Me- “umm….yeah”. End of conversation. Short conversation leads to contemplating by me… maybe I should ask the chubby computer nerd out on a date… couldn’t hurt, right? It might actually be fun, and, if nothing else, I will have a hilarious time, as he was the funniest person I’ve ever met. Not to mention… he played the guitar. I like musicians. I like guitarists… just not the girly, sensitive, DMB’s Satellite playing ones… and Sugarbear was definitely not one of those. This might be fun. So, up comes our “senior banquet” at church… and the theme was the Oscars… so, I donned my favorite, at the time, black dress. Sugarbear, true to form, chose a bow tie, sweater vest, and newsboy cap… and as always with him, his guitar. The banquet was in our fellowship hall, (where are wedding reception ended up being… go figure). So, we do the whole “yea, we’re graduating” thing, and as the evening was ending, I decided to be bold, and ask Sugarbear to get a cup of coffee with me. (My favorite then and now… extra hot chai a little on the dry side). He quickly introduces me to his parents, and off we went. Coincidentally, I don’t remember meeting them, and didn’t truly meet them until after we were engaged. At this point in time, it is about 10pm, and we go off searching for an open coffee shop, me in my heels and he in his newsboy cap and bow tie. Well, A-town is not your most happening of places at times, and we cannot find a coffee shop still open on our side of town. So, we are driving, talking, laughing, and we end of in my neighborhood. At the elementary school. At the playground. On the swing set. In our dress clothes. Barefoot. I don’t even remember what we talked about. Probably something about physics, or Einstein, or arguing about music… whatever it was , from the point on, I definitely saw the chubby computer nerd guitarist in a new light... he was funny. He was witty. He was smart. He was musical. He was not afraid to be absolutely totally himself all the time. He was probably a stronger Christian then than I am now, no joke. He was a good guy… very unlike the total jerk I had been kinda seeing from work… he treated me nicely, respectfully… he treated me like the only girl on earth… still does… and the rest is history. Now, if you ask Sugarbear, he would say that our first date came much later, that we had no romantic intentions that night. I think it’s just an excuse so he won’t have to admit that I asked him out first.

No comments:

Post a Comment